Christine Kawano Usyak is an education professional with experience teaching, leading, and mentoring at organizations as diverse as Apple, Amazon, and a first-grade classroom. In this episode she and Morris talk about leading adults vs. kids, mentoring and being mentored, finding focus, and work/life balance. First, though, we talk about a question that mixed-race people can find themselves getting asked dozens of times a day: “Where are you from?”
- “A mission to capture the full range of half-Japanese experience — in 192 photos,” an excellent article by Louise George Kittaka in the Japan Times about the Hāfu2Hāfu project.
- International School (Wikipedia)
- iPhone X (Wikipedia)
- 2011 Tohoku earthquake and tsunami (Wikipedia)
- What’s the origin of the phrase “raise the bar”? (Quora)
- “Why Stack Ranking Is A Terrible Way To Motivate Employees”, a 2013 article by Max Nisen in Business Insider.
- “Inside Amazon: Wrestling Big Ideas in a Bruising Workplace”, a 2015 article by Jodi Kantor and David Streitfeld in the New York Times
- Aesop (Wikipedia)